Looking for a new experience? The Siena Palio is for you.
The Palio is a horse race like no other. It started in 1644 and has never missed a year since then. For a once-in-a-lifetime experience, visit Siena during the days of the Palio, soak up the customs and traditions and let yourself be infected by the high spirits of the locals who live for those few exciting minutes of the race.
With the help of our tourist guides we have put together some holiday packages (3 days/2 days/1 day) to help you experience the Palio in the most enjoyable, relaxing way. The packages cover everything we think is important for our clients: the art and history of the Palio and Siena, a tour of the city and its contrade, a comfortable position to watch the race, select wines, excellent food and a dinner in the contrada on the day of the race.
There are also customized packages for groups, offering a private terrace with every comfort (bathroom, air conditioning, buffet)for watching the Palio.
Some information on the Palio:
– The Siena Palio is run twice a year, on 2 July and 16 August
– The city is divided into 17 districts or contrade
– Every Siena citizen has his or her own contrada (usually passed down through the generations, or else depending on the part of the city where they live)
– Piazza del Campo in Siena is not a normal ‘square’ at all but is shell-shaped. During the days of the Palio, the outer ring, where the race is run, is covered with a layer of special soil which is typical of the province of Siena.
– Every contrada is like a huge family of about 2/3000 people. Every contrada has a Museum and a Society where all the ‘contradaioli’ – men and women, young and old – organize dinners and events of various types. The life of the contrada continues all year round and everyone works for the Palio, which is the most important event of the year for a citizen of Siena.
– Luck plays an important part in the Palio. The contrade and the horses are matched by drawing lots. This is a very exciting moment for everyone.
Tuscan dmc organizes the Palio Package but also, on request, rooms (or villas) for your group with transfer to and from Siena.
Contact us to receive more information and estimates. We suggest booking well head of time since the few places available are very much in demand.